In this episode of Warrior Radio, I sit down with anthropologist, author, and activist Jerry B. Brown, Ph.D. From 1972-2014, he served as Founding Professor of Anthropology at Florida International University in Miami, where he designed and taught a course on “Hallucinogens and Culture.”
He and his wife Julie Brown recently published a book called The Psychedelic Gospels, which reveals evidence of visionary plants in Christianity and the life of Jesus. This proof can be found in medieval art and biblical scripture, which he traveled throughout European churches to uncover and document in his book.
In this interview, he shares these findings, as well as a host of other famous psychedelic cultures throughout history.
What You’ll Learn:
- A psychoactive plant called Soma revered in The Rigveda, one of the most ancient and sacred Hindu texts dating back over 6,500 years ago.
- A famous rite of passage in Ancient Greece called the Eleusinian Mysteries (practiced for over 2,000 years and by figures such as Socrates and Plato), which involved drinking a psychoactive drink called Kykeon.
- How the modern practices of Christmas we know today has its roots in Ancient Siberia, where a Shamanistic reindeer herder cult was known to ingest psilocybin mushrooms.
- How a JP Morgan Banker named R. Gordon Wasson became the father of the 1960’s psychedelic movement and the father of ethnomycology (the study of the cultural uses of mushrooms).
- Mexico’s rich history with magic mushrooms with involves the Aztecs, Mayans, and most recently the oaxaca people in which the likes of the Beatles, Bob Dylan, and Mick Jagger visited.
- Psychedelic use throughout Central and South America including Peyote native american churches, Psilocybin, Ayahuasca, and San Pedro.
- Jerry and Julie’s adventures throughout Europe uncovering medieval Christian artwork containing psychoactive plants within them.
- Psychedelic references written within the Gnostic gospels, one of the earliest Christian texts which for thousands of years were hidden and banned (and only discovered in 1945).
- Jesus’ plausible mystical journey to Egypt in his missing years where he was initiated into the use of psychedelics
- Why at some point the Christian church suppressed and ended psychedelic use and depictions of it in artwork.
Mentioned In Episode:
- Rosslyn Chapel
- Rainbow Gathering
- Amanita muscaria mushrooms
- R. Gordon Wasson
- Benny Shanon
- Eleusinian Mysteries
- Albert Hofmann
- Soma: divine mushroom of immortality by R. Gordon Wasson
- María Sabina
- Mushroom Ceremony of the Mazatec Indians of Mexico
- Sacred Mushroom Seeker : Tributes to R. Gordon Wasson
- Gnostic Gospels
- Nag Hammadi Library
- Sacred Plants and the Gnostic Church