Before founding this organization, she was a postdoctoral research fellow and faculty member at John Hopkins University School of Medicine, an institute leading the current psychedelic research renaissance we are undergoing. At John Hopkins, Katherine published a breakthrough paper that found how effective psilocybin can be in personality change. She’s been a guide of numerous psilocybin session for volunteers and has come away with fascinating takeaways she shares in today’s episode.
Before joining John Hopkins, she worked at UC Davis’ International Shamatha Project, which is one of the leading research institutions studying the practice of meditation.
What You’ll Learn:
- Katherine’s work with one of the leading meditation research program’s in the world called The International Shamatha Project by UC Davis
- How Roland Griffiths of John Hopkins reopened the research community’s door towards psychedelic research
- The structure John Hopkins used to create safe, trust-filled, loving psilocybin sessions for each of their volunteers.
- The psilocybin dosage John Hopkins has found that that maximizes the potential benefits and minimizes the possibility of a negative trip.
- How 60% of the volunteers at John Hopkins had a mystical experience while on psilocybin
- A transformative, mystical event that occurred in Katherine’s life that eventually lead her to move on from John Hopkins
- Katherine’s tips for integration after a powerful psychedelic or mystical experience
- Why psychedelics work to release areas of blocked energy in our bodies.
Mentioned In Episode:
- Clifford Saron
- B. Alan Wallace
- The International Shamatha Project – More info here
- Center for Optimal Living
- Psychedelic Program: Education and Continuing Care
- Ron Mangun
- Roland R. Griffiths
- Psilocybin can occasion mystical-type experiences having substantial and sustained personal meaning and spiritual significance
- Robert Jesse
- UCLA psilocybin pilot project
- Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS)
- Rick Strassman
- William Richards
- Matthew W. Johnson
- Robert Jesse and the Council on Spiritual Practices
- Terrence McKenna’s Heroic Psilocybin Dosage
- Center for Mindful Learning
- Mystical Experiences Occasioned by the Hallucinogen Psilocybin Lead to Increases in the Personality Domain of Openness
- Gary Weber
- The Ethics of Caring by Kylea Taylor
Cover Photo by Seam Less