In this episode of Warrior Radio, I sit down with Susan Blackmore, who is a psychologist, lecturer and writer researching consciousness, memes, and anomalous experiences, and a Visiting Professor at the University of Plymouth, UK.
She is a TED lecturer, blogs for the Guardian, and often appears on radio and television. Her more recent books include:
- Consciousness: An Introduction (3rd Ed 2018).
- Seeing Myself: The new science of out-of-body experiences (2017)
- Zen and the Art of Consciousness (2011)
- Conversations on Consciousness (2005)
We dive into her research into the nature of out of body experiences (OBE’s), near death experiences (NDE’s), and the science of consciousness.
What You’ll Learn:
- A transformative, out-of-body experience Susan underwent at 19 in university that jump-started her career in consciousness exploration
- The latest science behind out-of-body experiences
- Why out-of-body experiences are more common than you might think
- Why the “tunnel experience” and moving towards a white light is so common in OBE’s
- Why Susan believes that out-of-body experiences are a result of an overactivity of certain areas of the brain
- Why out of body experiences typically occur when someone is lying on their back
- Why the junction between the temporal and parietal lobes is at the heart of many OBE’s and NDE’s
- A strange electronic helmet that stimulates the brain in a way to have an OBE on demand
- How researchers are using virtual reality to explore the science behind out-of-body experiences
- An exploration on the nature of consciousness
Mentioned In Episode:
- Out-of-body experience (OBE)
- Near-death experience (NDE)
- Body schema
- The God Helmet
- Michael Persinger
- Beyond the Body: An Investigation of out-of-the-Body Experiences by Susan Blackmore
- Seeing Myself: The New Science of Out-of-body Experiences by Susan Blackmore
- The Astonishing Hypothesis by Francis Crick
- The Science of Consciousness Conference – University of Arizona
- Consciousness Explained by Daniel C. Dennett
- Consciousness: An Introduction by Susan Blackmore
- David Chalmers
- Hard problem of consciousness
- René Descartes
- Mind–body dualism
- Illusionism (philosophy)
- Journal of Consciousness Studies
- Deepak Chopra
- Integrated information theory by Giulio Tononi
Cover Art by: Seamlesso0
Enjoyed this article? Get more mind-bending insights on the Warrior.do newsletter.
Subscribe to the Warrior.do newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, and news in the world of mind hacking.